Home Forums Leader Board The WILLOW Mountain Bike Event

6 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Bram Connolly 8 months ago
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt Wilson
    Participant
    @Whiskey Mike

All, I am riding in the Willow MTB event in early March at Wingello, NSW. Due to having a very tight mountain bike jersey at the moment (Christmas – pies etc) – my plan is to ride, not die and finish. I will be in the Masters (50 +) age group in the 22 k event. It is a cracking event and held on a challenging course in the best of spirits as it commemorates the passing of a talented mountain bike athlete at a very young age. I will be attempting quite a few other races around NSW this year and would be stoked to have a Warrior U fellow rider to tell lies to, make excuses and generally shoot the shit with.

Stay tuned for vaguely accurate and lie free updates throughout the year.

Matt

Bram Connolly
    Keymaster
    @bram

Ha ha – Matt, DM me your postal address – I have a WarriorU t shirt for you and perhaps I’ll get some WarriorU MB jerseys made too. 🙂

Matt Wilson
    Participant
    @Whiskey Mike

Bram, what an awesome idea. Please ensure that the jersey size is well, ummmm…. large enough to fit my massive bulk.

Dean Adams
    Participant
    @Charlie November

Awesome stuff Matt.

Definitely looking forward to hearing how you are getting on with what sounds like a great goal for you.

All the best with it!

Dean

Matt Wilson
    Participant
    @Whiskey Mike

Thanks Dean and here is a Willow update – training going ok, nutrition still a bit off – we live 100 metres from a Gelato Bar. Aiming at beating my 2018 time by 20 mins. About 1 week to go – Ill get the bike looked at next week, clean my manky kit and make a great impression on race day.

Matt Wilson
    Participant
    @Whiskey Mike

The Willow is done and dusted. The good news is that I finished, the bad news is that I let a few things get in the way on the day and finished well over the time that I thought I would. I lost my focus and flow, two crashes later I was thinking of quitting. I realised that to quit I had to ride exactly the same number of ks as it would take to finish the ride. I learned a bit about managing expectations and in my last event (The Kurri Coalface) I shaked a few things up and finished under the time I set and actually enjoyed (most) of the race. Bring on the Convict 100.

Bram Connolly
    Keymaster
    @bram

Good life lessons there I’d say.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.