Home Forums ARMY QUESTIONS Progressing through SFDRS – seeking advice for sitting in front of 'the board'

5 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  Kaya Ellis-Gray 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ed Archer
    Participant
    @Echo delta tango

Hey again legends,

Today I had my main assessment (psych, full medical and interview to assess suitability for career choice).
    Was pretty intense with the questioning they give you but luckily enough got the okay to move on (and made some mates along the way with the recruiters), so now it’s onto sitting in front of the ‘SF board’ to answer more questions, and if that’s passed you’re in.
    So I’d love some advice if possible on how to prep for this interview, I’ve been researching the job role and requirements as much as I can but any hot tips on what else I should research and get ready for would be greatly appreciated!

On that note, anyone going through the steps prior to this, feel free to hit me up (if that’s okay with Bram and co), it’s all pretty fresh in my head and I made sure to ask tonnes of questions on the way. These are only early on I know but every little thing counts, trust me on that!! This site and its operators have the potential to see you through the whole process to the starting line and you’d be mad not to take advantage of that.

Bram Connolly
    Keymaster
    @bram

Ed, great stuff mate. Happy for guys to DM you for more info.

Craig Blanchard
    Participant
    @BLANCH

Hey mate,

I was SFDRS, I was lucky though because prior to that I’d been in the Navy as a reserve diver for 3 years so I’d already had a good idea of what was required. Well done on passing up to this stage, not many get this far. The best advice I can give is know the job you’re applying for front and back, know exactly what the timeline of your training will be and what courses you’ll be on until you’re awarded a Green Beret. In the interview for the position, just relax, think about what answers you’re going to give unless you’ve got a fireback answer already prepared. The crux of the SFDRS is though, if for whatever reason you’re removed from the training, you still are required to fulfil a minimum 4 year ROSO in an Infantry Battalion. That’s what happened to me, I was removed medically from the AIT course close to the end and sent up to Darwin to serve in 5RAR. So be keen for that, because as statistics go, that’s where most end up. Not trying to shit on your riff mate, but that’s the reality of it.

Obviously they want someone who’s going to make the physical standards, someone who is familiar with being able to push passed pain barriers and tap into mental resilience to get the job done. But more than that, someone who’s mature, grounded, sensible, trainable and not being full of ego bullshit will serve you well. This is the big one. Be the guy who puts the team first. Who thinks of others before they think of themselves. Will go far to help their mates out, and also complete strangers. Be a good dude. They don’t take kindly to thugs or grubs, no matter how well they fight. If you need any more help mate hit me up anytime.

Well done, and thanks for applying to serve your country. We need good fellas like yourself.

Ed Archer
    Participant
    @Echo delta tango

Thanks Craig,

Brilliant stuff, that’s given me a lot to work with and a lot to reflect on to see where I’m at with it all.

Craig Blanchard
    Participant
    @BLANCH

Roger mate, hit me up anytime. I hope it all goes really well for you.

Kaya Ellis-Gray
    Participant
    @Kilo Echo

@Ed,

How did you end up progressing through mate?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.