Home Forums Introductions Intro-Jacob Clifford

5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Matt Wilson 3 weeks, 1 day ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jacob Clifford
    Participant
    @Huntsman Red

Hi I’m Jacob,

I’ve joined WarriorU to give myself a better chance at joining the ADF. My goal is join the commandos. I have been going to the gym for the past couple years and have just finished a 12 week course on the ADF active app.

I am interested in increasing my knowledge or all things fitness, nutrition and Defence.

I have applied for the ADF and am awaiting booking my assessment day.

Jacob Clifford
    Participant
    @Huntsman Red

Edit: I’ve joined WarriorU to give myself a better chance at joining the ADF as well as to increase my general fitness and knowledge

Tim Wedesweiler
    Participant
    @Tango Charlie

G’day Jacob,

Great to have you on board as a member of WarriorU, i look forward to following you progress. Good luck.

The ADF is a great career, with the opportunity to work with some of the most amazing people and travel to some of the most interesting places. Becoming a member of WarriorU gives you access to some of those amazing people. I had the privilege to work alongside @ 2 Commando Regiment, the wealth of experience you have at your fingertips is unprecedented.

continue to develop a good understanding of what you are attempting to achieve, and definitely use this site to.

Maintain the Rage

Tim

Jacob Clifford
    Participant
    @Huntsman Red

Thanks for getting back to me Tim.

Yeah ADF seems like such a great and rewarding career/ lifestyle I can’t wait to be apart of it

Any tips for the assessment day stage of things?

Tim Wedesweiler
    Participant
    @Tango Charlie

G’day Mate,

As i did my assessment day many years ago, i am not the best person to ask as i believe they may have changed it,

what i do know is be as mentally and physical prepared as you can and give it your best. that is all you can do. either way you have left it “all on the ice” ( a ice hockey term for giving everything and no matter what, you can be proud of what you did) what ever the result.

you seem to be on the right way of getting yourself into shape. keep at that. just remember you don’t have to be ‘the Commando, Steve Willis’ on day one, the army will make you like that, but you do need to be able to achieve their standards and is always good if you can be a little better than just standard.

The one bit of advice i can give you plan to respond to the question of ‘if you can’t be xxxxxxxxxxxx, then what else are you willing to do?’

xxxxxxxxxx meaning whatever job you what to do in the army, or if you are looking to go straight into the Commandos, then what happens if you aren’t successful? what is your plan B? your answer should revolve around that you would look to do something else within the ADF and then look to try to get to xxxxxxxxxxxxxx again in the future.

Hope this helps.

General tip that is helpful for ADF selection, Commando selection or life in general. Build Mental Toughness. people say you just have to have it….but i believe this to not be true. you can build it by training it. for example find simple and easy ways that you are uncomfortable with and make yourself do them…… so something like
    you are standing in line at Coles and you have a 4kg bag of potatoes in one hand. instead of putting it down, say to yourself, i am going to hold this until i get to the register…….and do it. or
    you are doing a workout that calls for 10 push ups…….do 11, or you can only do 3 heaves……do your 3, then do 5 sets of 1…….

doing this is pushing yourself to achieve small things that will help to develop your overall mental toughness, and this is something we all need today as everything is so easy……..

Hope you find this helpful and

‘Maintain the Rage”

Tim

Matt Wilson
    Participant
    @Whiskey Mike

Jacob, I have been away for a few weeks, so here is a late welcome…. and as Tim has pointed out, have your goals sorted, but remember to have a plan B. Having a long term goal is an excellent strategy, especially when it is underpinned by a series of smaller goals that you can knock off along the way.

Good luck, it is a great career and keep us in the loop with how you are going.

Life is good.

Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.