Home Forums Introductions INTRO – J JORGENSEN

4 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Tom T 6 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Jorgensen
    Participant
    @JORG

Hi all,

Brief introduction. After 15 years in corporate life, decided I wanted to satisfy the boy-hood dream of trying to become a commando at 36 years old. Have been physically pretty fit all my life, lifting, cycling, hunting and martial arts are the main sports / hobbies.

Did my research, trained specifically for SFET, can currently meet/exceed those base level standards. I listened to podcasts and read as much as possible, joined WarriorU a while back etc with the aim of trying out for 1CDO. I passed the interview, medical, psych etc, but have been told by the EC at Rhodes recruitment center that there are no roles in 1CDO for this current financial year or for the next, and quote “possibly not in the foreseeable future”. This occurred in December last year, and I have just followed up today and was told the same thing again by another enlistment coordinator.

My only options are full time (2CDO) or infantry instead.

I was wondering whether Bram, or any of the senior guys here still connected know what’s going on. The strange thing is that the role is still being advertised online at defense jobs.

Cheers,

Jon

Tom T
    Participant
    @Tango Tango

Hi Jonathan,

Did you attend one of the Commando information sessions earlier in the year? It is my understanding from research and the information session that 1CDO predominantly consists of experienced reservists who apply for 1CDO, and former 2CDO/SASR. The SFDRS is designed for full time Commando. Perhaps on the basis that if you are unsuccessful there is a requirement to fulfil your ROSO in an infantry battalion. This allows the ADF to benefit from the cost of your training regardless of your progression through the scheme. SFDRS into 1CDO allows a candidate to fail or ‘drop out’ of the scheme at any time with no prolonged commitment. This obviously and undesirable economical risk for the ADF when failure rates are so high. But it is not impossible. Bram might have more information for you on the matter but this is my understanding.

Good luck with it mate, look forward to see how you progress.

Cheers,

Tom

Bram Connolly
    Keymaster
    @bram

JJ, it’s a really hard career path and as you can see, when there are vacancies they’re often filled by full time guys who transfer to reserves. best option is always join Army, go Infantry and then apply for SF. IMHO.

Bram

Jonathan Jorgensen
    Participant
    @JORG

Hi Bram and Tom,

That makes complete sense. I’ll reassess and potentially follow the infantry path first, as suggested. I’m also speaking to some guys who have done the AUSCDT1 stuff too. Will let you know if anything comes from that.

Really appreciate the help and answers.

Best of luck in each of your careers and future endeavors as well.

Cheers,

JJ

Tom T
    Participant
    @Tango Tango

If you decide to take the SFDRS full time hit me up mate!
    If not good luck with your new objective!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.