Home Forums ARMY QUESTIONS Getting over the nerves

5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Marco Viviers 5 days, 9 hours ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Craig Blanchard
    Participant
    @BLANCH

Hey gang,

I thought I’d put out there a thread on pre-course, pre-assessment, pre-enlistment nerves, self doubts and jitters. Because this stuff has been a thorn in my side for my whole career, all the way back from 2005. It’s occasionally hindered my performance so badly, it’s cost me entry to courses and avenues of service I’ve wanted since joining the ADF. So there are two main reasons why I’ve posted this thread. #1 is to gain advice on performance from the big dogs. #2 is demonstrate that these issues can creep up to haunt you even after several years of service. So if any of you who are reading this are feeling the clench of being assessed soon and gaining entry to the ADF, don’t worry. Because it effects us all.

In 2013 I had a go at my dream job. To become a Sniper. While doing the course, I was battling through a pretty nasty divorce and found myself in Darwin using alcohol as a coping mechanism for the divorce and pressures of the course, (BTW don’t do that). I wound up failing the course by one stalk. That coupled with the divorce hit me hard, and I elected to return to Brisbane, pause, heal and reset. Now, I’m back full time, as a RAAF ADG, and I’ve recently earned my way through Sniper selection (with a ‘strongly recommended’ result) and on to a course, for a second attempt. The course begins Monday, and I find myself with those old self-doubt demons starting to pipe up, causing those butterflies in my gut to fly around like someone’s just sprayed a can of Mortein in my gullet. There’s nothing I want more than to pass this course, except from not fail it for a 2nd time.

So I’m calling in bombs on this one. 81C/S fire for effect. Send any and all advice you may have, even if you think it’s not relevant. Send it. For those who are reading and are yet to experience these kinds of military jitters, don’t worry. It’s normal. But destiny favours the prepared.

Marco Viviers
    Participant
    @MIKE SIX

Hey mate good to hear that you’re having a crack at it again. I know how you feel mate felt like that once when we had selection for a state rugby team and I was one of the smaller blokes around back then. So I can only tell you what one of the couches told me, Trust in yourself you done the work you prepared for this you’ve trained you ass off now calm down and focus on your job focus on the end result you want and just do it.

I know it’s a bid different to you situation but it might help

Craig Blanchard
    Participant
    @BLANCH

Thanks brother, that helps 100%

Craig Blanchard
    Participant
    @BLANCH

So after years of setbacks and ‘big swing no ding’ results. I passed a 5RAR run Sniper course. Very very VERY happy dude right now.

Bram Connolly
    Keymaster
    @bram

Awesome mate

Marco Viviers
    Participant
    @MIKE SIX

Great new mate well done!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.